UPDATE: This painting of Democratic presidents playing cards is by artist Andy Thomas. This post has generated so much traffic to my website that I interviewed Andy Thomas about his presidents playing cards paintings and life as an artist, among other things. I found out, for example, that Rep. Darrell Issa of California has a copy of this painting in his office, along with a painting of Republican presidents playing cards. If you want to buy one these paintings go here. My original smart-ass remarks about the painting are below:
– Goody-goody Jimmy Carter is playing cards while bad boy JFK just stands around and watches? I don’t think so.
– Andrew Jackson, knowing that Democrats often take money that is not theirs, wisely brought a pistol to the game. (UPDATE: Thomas told me it’s a cane. But I still like the idea of Jackson packing heat.)
– Did Truman come straight from a Jimmy Buffett concert?
– You just know Woodrow Wilson gets pissed every time JFK and Clinton talk skirts. He’s all like, “Gentlemen, let us discuss how America can be an arsenal for democracy.” And JFK is like, “Er, uh, I’ll tell you who had a great arsenal –Sophia Loren. She had an arsenal that would not, er, uh, quit.”
– Everyone hates FDR’s joke at the end of each hand when he says, “Gentlemen, it appears the time has come for a New Deal.” Except Carter. It cracks Carter up every time.